Monday, January 22, 2007

Couple of things

- Buddy, I ain't happy with this whole handling of the war thing either, but to suggest the paper deliberately didn't cover an anti-war event because of any personal differences is ridiculous. There's an anti-war event downtown almost every day ... plus the Athens Banner-Herald has Ed Tant.

- I don't necessarily disagree with Rev. Beth Long's intent, but I think it's a rather shaky argument on the whole. I think there are, indeed, economic arguments as well which are more valuable considering folks who sincerely believe a minimum wage hike will hurt low-income folks could couch their disagreements in the same moral cloak.

- The race for the chair of the Democratic Party of Georgia is in the homestretch with the election set for next Saturday, and Peach Pundit picked up some interesting comments from Jim Butler regarding Michael Berlon's candidacy. Berlon, as I've noted here, is having a rough time as of late. Word is that he's continuing to lose delegates ... which, seeing how I'm a Jane Kidd guy, is good for the lady I'd like to see take over the party's leadership. Grift picks up some good quotes from last weekend's forum, and rumor is some video from that event will pop up soon on YouTube.

- If you've got some free time and are interested in helping out our school district, then swing by the H.T. Edwards Building today between 4:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. to participate in the community involvement aspect of the Clarke County School District's Continuous Improvement Plan.

- I'm for repealing our outdated blue laws, as well as thinking that Sadie Fields's counterargument is a tad silly. I didn't realize that, you know, allowing local communities to choose whether or not giving citizens the voluntary option to purchase beer or wine was infringing on worship. I had a beer last night and went to the grocery store ... that didn't infringe on my ability. Peach Pundit's all over this as well.

- Alice Kinman and Kelly Girtz were kind enough to share some of their thoughts regarding the possibility of some sort of hunting ordinance.

- Don Nelson's being doing some good work at the Banner-Herald blogs, so I give him some props for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home