Wednesday, January 24, 2007

McKinney (appears) to make good

You've got to give the hat tip to Winders for this, but this story about Larry McKinney's first few days in Daytona Beach is interesting for a variety of reasons.

- I love this part ...

McKinney said he'll experience those impacts firsthand when he and his wife start looking for a home to buy later this year. For the time being, he is renting.

"We've got a house in Athens to sell first, and real estate there has slowed like everywhere else," he said.


By 'Athens' you really mean 'Oconee County' right? I mean, they are two distinctly different communities last time I checked. Remember you worked to promote the economic well-being of one, but opted to live, shop and pay taxes in the other?

- As the president of the Athens Area Chamber of Commerce, and one who was incredibly politically active too (and by that I mean whatever the folks on the Athens-Clarke County Commission support, I will automatically oppose), don't you think you played a hand in at least somewhat encouraging this overdevelopment in the housing market? I mean, a good portion of the policies McKinney backed did nothing to prepare our community for the rampant development he was advocating. It was just clear-cut, put up condos and sell them for $225,000 ... consequences (or the existent of enough legitimate buyers) be damned.

- As an aside, check out the sweet deal George H. Mirabal is getting down there. First, he resigns as chairman. Then he sets up a consulting firm and his first client is ... The Chamber of Daytona Beach/Halifax Area. Mirabel will offer consult and advice to McKinney through a contract. If I was a member of that organization, I'd be upset I was giving so much money to the new guy and still paying some to the old guy.

Tom Brown is the business writer down there, and I think you should cordially let him know about McKinney's relationship with our community ... that whole damaging-a-credible-and-worthy-organization, setting-up-a-PAC-to-advance-personal-grudges and ignoring-the-wishes-and-sentiments-of-the-majority-of-this-community's-citizens thing he was so good at.

2 Comments:

Blogger Adrian Pritchett said...

I don't know how distinct Athens and Oconee really are.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Very my friend. Very. :)

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home