Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Who to back?

It's official now, as James Marlow has conceded.

Now what?

Obviously, I can't get behind a Jim Whitehead candidacy, but I also can't back Paul Broun who is even more to the right than the GOP's establishment candidate.

Nicki says she'll back Broun in the runoff, largely - if not solely - based on his ties to Athens-Clarke County. That's fair enough, but I can't rationalize going from backing Marlow to someone as conservative as Paul Broun.

No disrespect to Nicki - or to Broun for that matter - but speaking as someone who's a moderate-to-progressive fella, his views are pretty far away from mine.

As an aside, Blake talks about the race, conceding - like the rest of us - that we were all wrong.

He says, however, that the Democratic Party is in shambles. I just don't think so. I think it's far behind the curve with regard to a couple of things, but I think you've got to look closer at the numbers (and, you know, realize this is a very conservative district). In doing so, you'll see that Marlow ran fairly respectable in places like Towns County and Lincoln County.

There's a lot of work to be for sure. This is a red state, and, right now, we're kinda searching for some good, young candidates with strong local ties to emerge and help take the party to the next step.

I do agree, however, that the party base didn't necessarily gel around Marlow as they did in Athens-Clarke County. A question I'd like to throw out there involves the numbers for Evita Paschall in the Augusta area ... sure, she had some ties, but would Terry Holley have any impact on this? He was awfully critical of the other county parties backing Marlow, and, as the chair of McDuffie County Democratic Party, one has to wonder if he wasn't as inclined to work to get out the vote for Marlow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike-El said...

I can't pull a handle (or touch a screen) for either one of these guys. Heck, I don't even want to be seen in public going to vote in a R's-only race. I've got a reputation to uphold.

I say "Eff it." With a capital "E."

10:05 PM  
Blogger Flannery O'Clobber said...

Well, I doubt Broun will win. So I intend to vote for him. We're screwed, anyway.

As for the shambles business, I disagree. The race was set against the election of a democrat from the beginning -- so who's shocked that it didn't elect a democrat?

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home