Friday, July 20, 2007

Keep it in the bag

Ugh ... a new alcohol ordinance is in the works, and according to the article there are couple of revisions which I'm not a fan of in there. While I'm glad the commission has worked through some of these and is taking this is an appropriate manner, I do think, for instance, banning 'brown-bagging' is not a terribly good idea.

To be honest, I don't entirely understand the rationale behind that one. It isn't as if a ban on that practice will suddenly mean folks will not purchase 12-pack of Natural Light ... it just means they won't do it at a restaurant. Any problems involving alcohol don't come from establishments which permit brown-bagging either as they typically shut down considerably earlier than the downtown bars and feature competent staffs which don't accept any rowdy behavior. I've frequented two establisments which permit brown-bagging and never had an unpleasant experience at them or seen an individual get 'out-of-hand.'

Now, I'm not particularly a fan of banning the practice of letting bars cut drink prices after a certain time - though I honestly don't think that's the case, but then again I don't actually go to your typical college bars anymore - because I don't fancy the notion of price-fixing which, quite frankly, this loosely is. Still, I'd be more content in letting this one pass than the ban on brown-bagging.

The stuff involving the bar doormen I'm OK with, but I still think this is largely a matter of enforcing what we already have on the books and not being afraid to punish those who break the rules, severely if necessary, and that includes business and patron.

1 Comments:

Blogger Polusplanchnos said...

Who certifies doormen, and who gives them training?

It seems to a me profession that is largely developed through experience and older hands showing the ropes, where classroom training will be just worthless CYA BS.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home