Friday, August 10, 2007

That kinda makes sense

Call me crazy, but on the surface, Gov. Sonny Perdue's plan to cover 30,000 workers in Georgia's small businesses seems like, well, a pretty good idea.

So much so that I actually had to call a few people last night and make sure it was. I mean, sure, there are some concerns I have, such as that 30,000 seems like a low number, and others raised similar questions ... namely that $182 million is a lot of money for just 30,000 folks.

But, still, the fact that Earl Ehrhart didn't like, dropping that fun word 'entitlement' in the process while urging, surprise, more tax cuts, makes me think that the governor is definitely going in the right direction on this.

It's been an odd few weeks for some of us Democrats in the blogosphere as I'm not the first to defend Perdue (Flack already beat me to it). Here's hoping the governor is willing to work with the moderate Republicans and Democrats in the Georgia General Assembly to make this a viable effort.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you think that 30,000 doesn't include employees of small business owners and all their dependents, making the number of actual insureds much larger?

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Folks tend to forget that Perdue is a lifelong Democrat who became a Republican when it was the politically expedient thing to do.

David

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to scribble my name on the wall I will say I was going to type what Dave wrote.

Thats why Sonny is more agreeable than say the really nutty ones like Glen Richardson, Whats his name Whitehead, Bill Greene and Nancy Schaefer.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As was pointed out by the DCH commissioner on WGAU this week, this is all too reminiscent of Peachcare. How's that working out?

I mean, if the feds won't subsidize that--and it's for kids, for cryin' out loud--why are they going to subsidize this?

It's looking more and more like this business about Perdue being Ga's first GOP governor is a myth. Looks like we're still waiting...

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home