Thursday, October 04, 2007

Couple of things

- The Athens-Clarke County Commission takes a gander at impact fees on developers, which isn't an alien concept at all and is a useful tool employed by many communities. I'd lean toward its implementation with regard to sewer or water lines rather than other municipal uses, but I am intrigued by the use of impact fees to spur affordable housing development in Colorado. I don't know if that particular model would translate here, but it is something worthy examining a little more.

- These scores are ridiculous, and Mark Richt's quote at the bottom proves that. Why are we criticizing the existing programs for the actions taken by the coaches before they arrived?

- Rationing our water is a distinct possibility, particularly if we don't get any rain in the next few months.

- In an interesting note, after removing Sen. Johnny Isakson from the race since he would clear the field out, this poll suggests Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine is the strongest challenger to Lt. Governor Casey Cagle's bid for governor. Interesting since Oxendine, apparently, is making some rounds with the press to tout his ideas. He's eyeing something in the future and, to be honest, he'd be a formidable candidate for whatever he seeks.

- I've got no problem with zoning overlays or the creation of a historic district for Milledge Avenue (I'd favor the most appropriate one that offers flexibility to the owners and developers and allows the community to preserve the look) ... but, I'll be honest, this feels as if we were looking for a reason to deny Gamma Phi Beta. I agree that the parking concerns are absolutely legitimate, but without the two mechanisms alluded to above in place, the denial based on facade redesigns doesn't seem quite right to me.

- I do think Erick at Peach Pundit was just trying to make a joke, but I concur that it was a rather poor one.

- In words I can't believe I'm typing ... if the Georgia GOP gets past its Fred Thompson love affair, Rep. Ron Paul might make this thing interesting. I say that because he raised $5 million last quarter, sliding past Sen. John McCain and Gov. Mike Huckabee in the process. He's got some cash on hand now, and folks in Iowa seem to like him.

- J.T. and the boys echo my points from yesterday regarding roundabouts, though I disagree that Elton Dodson was being 'condescending.' I think he was being honest in the sense that, quite frequently, the leaders of our community have to work to educate the public on what they believe is the best course of action.

- Game One? Josh Beckett's pitching like it's 2003 and not 2006, which is a good thing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Holla said...

A funny (and brief) riff on Fred Thompson here:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/015859.html

10:54 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I like it.

Though shouldn't they rename that blog to 'ronpaulisawesome.com' ...

11:33 AM  
Blogger Holla said...

Well, LewRockwell.com is one of the original supporters of Ron Paul. In fact, Ron Paul is one of their columnists. Understandably, they're pretty pumped that the only politician in the last fifty years who advocates their political philosophy is actually making an interesting run at the White House.

Lew Rockwell is the best-known (top 500 in internet traffic, last time I checked) site on the web for paleo-libertarian political philosohpy and Austrian school economics. So, again, no surprise that they're pumped about Paul.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home