Thursday, October 11, 2007

Couple of things

- Good news on our economic front as McLane's will get some bonds to expand their facilities and create new jobs. I've actually always wondered why we're not a better place for some distribution centers. One would think that going out on Highway 441 there is ample space that could be devoted toward that, giving it prime access to reach I-85.

- Listen, I like Al Gore too, but can we drop the 'Draft Gore' option? This is the strongest Democratic field in years, and we don't need someone else to swoop in. Those who say 'there aren't any good choices' clearly aren't looking hard enough.

- Please, someone help Chester Middlebrooks find his lost dog. This was one of the more depressing articles I've read in a while.

- I don't think this is what the Notre Dame fan base means when it says 'Wake Up The Echoes' ...

- The Wife makes a good point on the Glenn Tax.

- The challengers for Saxby Chambliss keep lining up as Erick says Larry Cooper might get in the mix. And this comes just a few days after Grift says Josh Lanier is considering getting in the mix.

- I agree with Matthew Yglesias, though Mitt Romney enjoys changing his positions to suit the crowd, he did make a funny at Fred Thompson's expense.

- Well done Edward.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though they do not garner nearly as much attention as higher profile manufacturers, warehouses and distribution centers can be great for the balance sheets of local governments.

This is because once built, they demand virtually nothing in terms of ongoing government services, but typically supply lots of revenue through inventory taxes and such.

Without knowing just what the bonds entail in terms of tax abatements (they are outlined generally in Don's article - I'm on the other Development Authority so I'm not up on the particulars of this bond issue), this seems like a good deal and, because it is a distribution center rather than a manufacturer, does not incur some of the political acrimony that other potential expansions have.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard a rumor re Chester Middleton, from the helper who comes to my house once a week to clean... that he has a past of violence, and served time as a younger man. I am wondering whether Joe our crime writer did a background check on this fellow. He is famous in our neighborhood for having several dogs, neighbors who know him say he always has several dogs w/him wherever he goes, that much of the story is correct. Also that they're always some sort of small dog mix.
I went to try to look him up, but didn't know the right places to look, I'm not sure when his conviction took place, or when he got out of jail/prison.
Before we all jump on board to find this man one of his dogs, shouldn't we find out more about him?
Admittedly, if he served his time, he deserves a second chance, but my understanding (again, rumor) is that he had drinking issues/rage issues when he was much younger, and supposedly drowned and shot two female victims who refused his advances, or rejected him.
My helper says that she grew up in this neighborhood, and was warned by other women in the neighborhood to stay away from him, as he had a reputation for violence against women.
Can anyone check this out?
He rides up and down my street all the time, I've seen him several times, w/dogs. While I don't feel threatened by a 75 year old man personally, it would be respsonsible reporting to dig into the guys past and make it known that he hasn't always been such a reformed, harmless old guy.
How long do sex offenders/manslaughter/felons have to stay on the list of sex offenders?
I do have sympathy for the man, and the loss of his dog earlier this year, as well as the poor 12 year old dog that was dognapped last week.
I have to wonder why anyone would think they'd make a good price, even enough for a crack addict to buy a fix of their drug of choice.
Can anyone fill in the blanks here? When I searched I found several entries but not the one where he was convicted and sentence to prison time.
I hope that we can get to the bottom of this... I live alone in his neighborhood, and don't want to get him angry at me. Joe, can you help us clear up this story?
Oh, and gas can man shows up at my door at least once a month, demanding change for gas, he is belligerent, and insists that I do carry cash, even though I've told him several times I don't have any money in the house. He calls me a liar, and insists that I have some change, which he considers his, if I have it, he thinks I should pass it along to him. Owe it, in fact. Our neighbors keep an eye out for him, and his name is gas can man, because he may have mental issues, he doesn't remember what he did.
thanks,
aquariusrizing

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home