Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A request

Typically each year during the holiday season, I talk a little bit about some worthy non-profits that you should consider supporting, and I plan to do that this year. But I'm going to get an early jump on that with an initial request for you fine folks to ponder supporting an impending mission trip from First Baptist Church of Athens to the Gulf Coast.

This week, my church is taking seven or so folks down to the Gulf to continue with the clean-up that remains in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Last year, our college group went down to the Ninth Ward in New Orleans to do some work, and prior to that we sent groups to places in Mississippi and Alabama.

I had originally planned to be a part of this particular trip but, due to some upcoming family matters, I'm not able to attend (which I'm rather bummed out about). Instead, I'm going to make a donation to our church's missions program to help fund this particular trip. As of now, our team is going to need help not only with the supplies down there, but also with transportation, lodging and food.

One of the primary reasons The Wife and I found a home at First Baptist Church of Athens is because of its dedication to service. In just the few short years we've been members, our church has sent service teams to India and Africa to either review mission projects from the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship or work to assist with projects in those areas. We raised money to build wells for villages in Kenya. We participated in 'Operation In As Much' where we spent one day working on service projects around town (ranging from renovations to Parkview Playschool to simply going to a local laundramat and paying for everyone's laundry when they arrived). We're a leading congregation with IHN of Athens.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg of what we've done and what we can do.

In short, if you're looking to support this trip to the Gulf Coast as I am, let me humbly recommend you make a modest gift to First Baptist Church of Athens (making the check out to the church and putting 'FBC Missions' in the 'For' line).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home