Thursday, November 29, 2007

Sounds like a good start

Let me echo the kind words being said about Fred Moorman's idea to build a mixed-use development near the Navy School land (I'm only disappointed I didn't know about the presentation as I would have really enjoyed being there to see it).

I think it's good in two primary ways ... namely that I like mixed-use developments (particularly ones right down the street from where I live) and I really like that Moorman is seeking community input on this development. I hope the latter is yet another step in the direction of engaged property owners seeking community involvement on prospective developments (as Chris Butts is doing with the Charmar's).

Both Commissioner David Lynn and Commissioner Carl Jordan are optimistic about the project, though a little less than me based on some of their cautious statements. Traffic, as Jordan notes, is a legitimate concern, but I think it's something that needs to be planned regardless, particularly since we plan on bringing a UGA expansion on the Navy School property and hope to see a new hospital developed on Sunset Drive as well.

One of the things that excites me most is the potential for positive growth along that portion of Prince Avenue and its ability to stimulate additional growth along Oglethorpe Avenue, Hawthorne Avenue and Sunset Drive. It's early, I know, but I like the feel of this thing off the bat.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of people want this kind of development but most of them don't trust Fred. I know I don't.

The only thing I trust Fred to do is something other than what he promises.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Outside of the fact that he had the, um, gumption to name the building he owns 'The Fred Building' I know very little about Mr. Moorman.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All you have to do is a quick Banana-Herald search to see the nefarious dealings Moorman has. The guy is Shady with a capital Sha-- he's not just self-centered-- he's the Teflon Don of Athens real estate. His lawyers have got him off criminal charges for his crooked dealings more than O.J.'s dream team.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Flannery O'Clobber said...

Yep. agreed. Nice guy, not such a nice developer.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home