Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Couple of things

- Just a little bit more on this landfill thing, since I've been accused of calling our current commissioners 'bad guys' ... which is a fairly laughable assertion I think. My larger point is that I am quite uncomfortable with the notion of breaking a promise made to the group of citizens who live near the landfill, regardless of whether or not the previous commission had the authority to do so or whether or not such promises are legally binding (which, according to Georgia law, they are not). I know we need landfill space. I know it's a pressing issue that must be addressed sooner than later. But I also know that, regardless of who's sitting behind the rail, this community and the community in Oglethorpe County told these folks we wouldn't ever expand that landfill. Perhaps that was something those former commissioners shouldn't have done, but the fact remains they did.

- This is cute isn't it? I mean, an offense straight out of 1974 being powered by a team which hasn't beaten Georgia since 2001 ... I'm definitely shaking.

- In a toast to someone across the aisle, let me tip my hat to the outgoing president of the University of Georgia's College Republicans David Ballard. He's been a regular reader, sometimes commenter and has emailed me plenty of tips and heads-ups over the past year. We don't agree on, well, much, but he's good people, so let's wish him well.

- Blake talks about Carl Jordan's disagreements with some folks at a recent Athens-Clarke County Commission meeting, but it doesn't really bother me all that much. I mean, isn't that what Jordan does? He needles folks, asks a lot of questions (which, honestly, isn't a terrible thing ... just time-consuming and frustrating at times) and has his heart in the right place more often than not. My only quibble would be his objection to David Lynn's request for a stop sign on Meigs Street.

- Speaking of Athens Banner-Herald blogs, I don't necessarily agree with this recent installment from Jason. Not that random and senseless violence doesn't alarm me, but rather that it's merely taking two instances and attempting to paint us as Eight Mile in Detroit. I enjoyed his column somewhat more since it addressed the systematic problems we face not just as a community, but as a society, on how to deal with folks who have mental disorders that make them, at times, dangerous.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With the caveat that the current mayor and commissioners find themselves faced with a dilemma not of their own making, the breaking of a promise made by, or as in this case on behalf of, the Unified Government to those who live in the formerly unincorporated area of the county is nothing new.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, glad to hear that EK is doing better.

12:12 PM  
Blogger jmSnowden said...

For plenty of people in Athens, violence is a daily issue so maybe we should be talking about it. Of course, these are the people we just discovered who live in poverty.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Flannery O'Clobber said...

I blogged on Carl over at my place. Cynically, of course.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words, JMAC.

Have a Merry Christmas

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home