Monday, April 14, 2008

Recapping the week that was

Growing up in Augusta, I would tell everyone that the loneliest feeling in the world was the Monday after The Masters and, even though I'm back in Athens-Clarke County now sifting through a variety of emails and catching up on some work, that sentiment remains true. It was a good tournament, though Sunday's final round was rather anti-climatic since Trevor Immelman decided to run away with it on the back nine, and it was a good time with my family as well.

- I'm not terribly stunned that Immelman won since I've always figured that he was a strong enough player to push his way into that top tier of golfers. Health problems last year derailed him after he won Rookie of the Year honors in 2006, but if can play at even a modicum of the level he played at the past week, he'll be a force to reckon with.

- I had already become a Brandt Snedeker fan earlier in the week seeing how his manager and some of his family and friends decided to park at my grandmother's house for the entire tournament, but after watching the poor guy just get all broken up in the post-tournament press conference after shooting 77 on Sunday was enough to push him into that small group of 'Jmac's Favorite Golfers.' My cousin Stephen and I were hoping that he'd win so we could get invited to the victory party, but I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer.

- After another financially successful endeavor with parking cars - 30 to 35 cars per day at $30 a car over a seven-day period - I have to wonder why I don't opt to add sports hospitality to the list of services provided by Front Porch Consulting.

- Want to know why Tiger Woods is ridiculous? Because folks think he struggled this past weekend, and he still finished in second place.

- Seeing how I'm an only child, I always look forward to this week because we have tons and tons of family staying under my grandmother's roof (on Saturday night we had 10 people crammed into a three-bedroom, two-bath house ... with me crashing on a love seat in dining room since The Kid was taking my spot in the bed with The Wife). I told Stephen that I'd have to call him this morning since I've spent, like, the past six days with him non-stop.

- Also connected to that ... it's been a long time since I've drank an average of five-or-more beers per night for five straight night. Safe to say, I'm not as young as I used to be.

- What I love about the parking cars aspect is the amount of fascinating and, in some cases, really odd people I get to meet. We had a car full of Canadian businessmen who parked everyday with us and absolutely loved Hooters. A pair of identical twin grandfathers who owned competing car dealerships in Jacksonville, Fla. A guy from New York who told us that if anything happened to his car he'd track us down and kills us ... and we didn't think he was kidding, though it was weird since it was he was driving a 2001 Yukon. A gentleman named James from Scotland who liked to give us a down payment to hold a space for him, despite the fact that it wasn't necessary at all. And lots of people from Wisconsin and North Carolina.

- My cousin-in-law-to-be Eric tried to educate Stephen and I regarding NASCAR on Saturday night, but it was lost on us. Apparently the race that night featured a pretty exciting ending, but to Stephen and I it looked a lot like the previous portion of the race.

- The best comment of the week came from a client of my uncle's who said that the only difference between the Daytona 500 and The Masters was that at one of those events everyone wore a hat with the No. 3 on it. I'd quibble with some particulars, but that's about right in some cases.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Spring Break always sucked if you were in town and didn't have Masters' tickets. I don't miss that, but it is weird to see the hometown on the TV. End nostalgia.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

Why is Tiger Woods even more ridiculous.....

Tiger Woods had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Tuesday and will miss at least four weeks while he recovers.

Not only did he "struggle" and finish 2nd, he did it with a knee that needed surgery two days after the final round!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Mike-El said...

Everybody in this house noticed how Tiger was favoring his leg and wincing when getting up and out of bunkers. I don't think the CBS announcers ever said a word about it. It was obvious something wasn't physically right with him.

While the last thing I want Sunday afternoon at The Masters to be is a scramble-fest, I have to give it up for Immelman. That 75 could've easily been an 81 if not for some clutch scrambling.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wondering...how do you report that car parking on your income tax return?

1:57 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

That's why I married a CPA who's a stickler for the rules.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh... the memories. We've probably discussed this before, but my grandparents lived on Hillside Lane until '86... I am surprised our grandparents did not know one another (since everyone in Augusta knows everyone else). But you guys went to St. Mark and we went to National Hills and you know how those Baptists and Methodists are ;)

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home