Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Some musical advice

OK, since I talked about my disappointments with the state of country music, a handful of readers asked if I would suggest some good current country artists to follow since, sadly, their knowledge was limited to Rascal Flatts or Toby Keith.

Fair enough, though the best of the best remains Waylon, Willie and Cash. Still, if you wish to venture into today's landscape, most of the artists I favor are career club bands who belong to the Texas/Oklahoma scene.

A few worth mentioning include ...

Cross Canadian Ragweed
Songs of Note - Alabama, Boys From Oklahoma

Shooter Jennings
Songs of Note - Some Rowdy Women, Fourth Of July

The Ryan Bales Band
Songs of Note - Moonshine, Outlaw

Adam Hood
Songs of Note - Play Something We Know, Million Miles Away

The Lost Trailers
Songs of Note - Holler Back, I'm A Country Man

The Casey Donahew Band
Songs of Note - White Trash Story, Back Home In Texas

Miranda Lambert
Songs of Note - Kerosene, Gunpowder And Lead

Reckless Kelly
Songs of Note - Wicked, Twisted Road, Seven Nights In Eire

Brantley Gilbert
Songs of Note - My Kinda Party, A Modern Day Prodigal Son

Granted, there are plenty of more mainstream artist I will admit to liking. You can never go wrong with Alan Jackson, Travis Tritt is sitll one of my favorites, Craig Morgan puts out a good song here and there and I have no shame in acknowledging that, yes, I do like Carrie Underwood.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what the heck country means anymore but I grew up listening to my parents country (willie, merle, don williams...) and southern rock vinyl (steve earle, allman bros) and anything worth listening to isn't often played on what they call "country" radio these days.

I'm with you on Reckless Kelly, Cross Canadian Ragweed, and Shooter Jennings. Great stuff.

From the OK/TX red dirt category I'd suggest the Randy Rogers Band (try One More Goodbye, Kiss me in the Dark, Just a Matter of Time) and maybe Stoney Larue (Forever Young, Down in Flames, Feet Don't Touch the Ground).

A few others that I really suggest people check out are Lucero (anything, but a few favorites are A Dangerous Thing, and Raising Hell), Creosote (It's over now), Chris Knight (Pretty Good Guy), Lost Immigrants (Evangeline, Judgement Day).

I also like Hank III's 1999 Risin' Outlaw CD (Devil's Daughter, If the Shoe Fits).

Another that is more southern rock than country, but damn good alt music is Bleu Edmondson (The Band plays on, Finger on the Trigger, Let me fall, The Echo).

10:17 AM  
Blogger The Shepards said...

Them boys in Oklahoma roll their joints all wrong.

And I'm here to tell you, with all my joint-rolling experience, they ARE too damn skinny and way too long.

Sad to see that my boy Merle Haggard didn't make the list. "Turn Me Loose and Set Me Free" is way underrated.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what about the Rocket's formerly 15 year old hootchie mama

4:17 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

My fault in omitting both Steve Earle and Merle Haggard, particularly the latter.

I do like me some Lost Immigrants. I have one of their CDs and am a fan of Dixie Queen and Weather Of You.

And the first Mindy McCready reference of the day! Excellent!

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lost Trailers used to rock, but their new stuff sucks.

Fire on the Ponchartrain is great as is the whole "Welcome to the Woods" album.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home