Friday, June 20, 2008

Carl's out

Carl Jordan has opted to not seek reelection for District Six.

I have decided not to seek re-election to the District 6 County Commission position.

Serving the residents and businesses of my district has been the most interesting, challenging, frustrating, and invigorating time of my life, and I am honored and grateful to have had the opportunity. I am also grateful to my Commission colleagues who have collaborated with me in the evolution of Athens into a healthier, greener, safer, and more-congenial home-place, and to ACC management and staff who have endured my schooling and persistent scrutiny.

But I also believe that government is energized by a turnover of personalities, ideas, and skills, and I hardly have a monopoly on knowing what is best for Athens, or determining how best to achieve it. Eight years is a good amount of time, and this is the right time for me to channel my energy differently. My intent is ideally to achieve greater balance in my life, and a release from a passion that has too often been all-consuming, and occasionally a distraction to the government.

Thus, as of the first of next year, I look forward to cleaning up my house and yard, perhaps even washing the windows, and spending more time at my Idaho cabin. I cannot imagine the boredom of retirement, so don’t expect me to fade away. My hope is simply to remain an engaged and valued voice in my adopted community, but without the constraints imposed by a government calendar or the obligations of an elected official.

----CARL JORDAN

1 Comments:

Blogger ACCBiker said...

I have mixed emotions about this. I tended not to agree with him on most of the issues he pushed, but I did like the way he didn't accept the status quo and constantly questioned the Manager for answers to questions that others did not want to ask.

I hope he enjoys his cabin.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home