Sunday, July 20, 2008

Big news

Well, this has at the same time happened rather quickly, yet been in the works for awhile, but we have sold our house and purchased another one.

In Laurel Shoals.

In Oconee County.

So, I guess I'll let that sink in for a minute.

Now, I know what you're thinking ... Jmac, I can't believe you'd move out there! It's so ... Republican!

That's very true, but it's also where a nice four bedroom, three (full) bath house with hardwood floors throughout and a covered porch in the back and granite countertops in the kitchen and my own office with built-ins (finally!) on a little more than an acre of land dotted with pecan and elm trees that backs up to a horse farm that I'll soon call 'home' is located.

And it's also where something like that, due to the housing market's downturns and owner's immediate need to relocate, became shockingly affordable for us.

Truth be told, The Wife and I realized toward the end of last year that we needed more room as one bedroom was now occupied by The Kid and another had become an impromptu storage closet. Our dining room morphed into my office and our kitchen pantry's door hasn't been able to close for more than three months now since my daughter began eating real food. And I've never been able to fit my car in our garage since we moved in due to its size and the varieties of our lawn equipment.

Cutest baby ever? Well, yeah, but they don't tell you how much stuff they accumulate.

So we began casually looking around a few months ago, got brave enough to list our house about two months back and, once ours sold a little more than a week ago, decided to get serious and looked across Northeast Georgia for our next home. And, as the story goes, The Wife and I fell in love with this house the moment we saw it.

It's going to be hard to not be an official resident of Athens-Clarke County since The Wife and I truly love this community, but we're also excited about not only the new house, but also getting to know folks in our new community.

The blog ain't changing, though I may pull back a bit on criticism of some Athens-Clarke County issues and give a little more focus to the going-ons in Oconee County, but, since it's all official now, I figured I'd let y'all know.

10 Comments:

Blogger ACCBiker said...

Congrats. Not necessarily my style, but I am sure it will meet your family's needs. It is always exciting (and stressful) to move up to new diggs.

Don't go soft on us now. Oconee County politics are not nearly as fun - certainly in need of attention, but theirs all reek pretty much of the same flavor.

9:44 PM  
Blogger hillary said...

Oh, McGinty. It is a little bit sad and yet, congratulations. I'm glad it worked out so neatly for you.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful house. Welcome to Oconee - there are a few of us democrats out here.
What I hate most about Oconee is the way the kids are treated. They are bruised or brushed off by ultra-competitve parents & coaches (soccer, tennis, band, even academics)and teachers who only appreciate traditional prep-school kids. They lack appreciation for creative, quirky kids.
Make sure your cutest baby know she's the best-most-awesome-ever girl even if she has an idea or two of her own or prefers black over pink.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Oconee Democratic said...

Wow, welcome to the Democratic committee of Oconee County. We usually meet the first Thursday of the month at the courthouse. Go eat at Krimson Kafe if you have not done so already. You are nearly neighbors with Norm Grayson, the man who tears down historic properties in Watkinsville. You are not in a municipality but you could ride a bike to Veterans Park.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Polusplanchnos said...

Congratulations on moving up.

If you need any help with yard work, let me know.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man oh man. I'm with H. Brown on this one.

Oconee is soon to get just a little bit better with y'all there. But how the heck are we going to get you elected out there?

5:12 PM  
Blogger Oconee Democratic said...

Getting him elected will not be the problem. Getting him to run for the right office at the right time will be. Timing is everything is local politics. I think non-partisan elections will happen sometime at both the BOE and BOC in the relative near future. McGinty for BOC chair 2012!

Have you switched registration yet? I think you have six months to do so, so you could vote in Athens in November I believe - that is a guess BTW.

Every day more and more cool folks move to Oconee County. That is how we will get a McGinty elected some day some way out here.

Seriously do not discount the friendship with such political/PR stalwarts as Brian Brodrick and let us hope that Sherry Jackson will attend the next Oconee Democratic Committee meeting.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Mike-El said...

Too bad some Oconee GOP flack has probably already printed up JMac's Tom Selleck/Kellie Martin blog entry as the first item in his "Oppo" file.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Christopher T. Anderson said...

Welcome to Oconee. As said in other comments ... there are Democrats out here, and it is time some of us run! I blog occasionally myself, and have always enjoyed yours.

As far as the cutest baby? First of all, let me say, that is a really cute baby. I will have to nominate Ethan to give you a run on that. Maybe they should meet?

3:27 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Beautiful home, Jmac. Welcome to the real OC.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home