Thursday, February 09, 2006

Cartoon violence

As a person who spent much of his professional life in journalism, and someone whose current occupation requires him to spend much of his time working with journalists, it's safe to say I've always had a deep love for the 'freedom of the press.' A free press is essential to a democratic society. It keeps a watchful eye on those in power - be them in government or the private sector - and helps give a voice to those who wouldn't have one otherwise.

So when I see things like the violent protests in the Middle East over, admittedly, offensive cartoon depictions of the prophet Mohammad, it makes me cringe. Not just because I like to consider myself a fairly decent human being who respects the rights - and life - of others, but also because such tactics of intimidation are a blatant attempt to stamp down dissent and anything which might dare offend someone.

The violent uprisings in the Middle East over, again, a cartoon, are so ignorant, petty, stupid and banal, that it almost defies logic. It reveals the worst side of mankind and shows the true lack of tolerance on the part of Islamic extremists (not to mention the severe lack of respect of life they possess, but we already knew that considering they rammed planes into our buildings and routinely send young children strapped with explosives into crowded shopping malls to kill innocent people).

Here me now when I say - we are better than them.

I'll say it again just so I am clear - we are better than them.

And we are better than any individual - be it Muslim, Jew, Christian or atheist - who determines it is 'OK' to kill innocent people to further their agenda.

And this is an important distinction to make with regard to our own intolerances. I am no fan of Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell. As a Christian, I find it quite appalling to hear some of the things they say from their pulpits, attempting to pass their thoughts off as newly handed down Gospel from on high. One can color me 'intolerant' to the point that I will turn off the TV when they come on or mutter 'idiot' when I hear them espouse some sort of nonsense.

However, I would never deny them their American right to express their opinions or beliefs, no matter how inflammatory the language. I may vocalize my disagreements with them or refuse to watch their programs or buy any products from them or work with an organization that promotes different viewpoints from them, but I would never call for them to not have the ability to say what they want.

And I would never dream of rioting in the streets of my hometown, looting stores and hunting down and attacking people who shared the same worldview. Such actions are barbaric and void of any rationality.

Furthermore, despite my deep disagreements with the members of the Religious Right, I can not think of any occasion in which their leaders have encouraged their followers to take to the streets and kill innocent people. They may enact odd boycotts of Walt Disney World, but they do not preach violent rebellion.

It's why absurd and ignorant posts, like this one, which equate the Pat Robertsons of the world with murderous riots led by intolerant Islamic extremists, are so pathetic. Does this blogger really believe that if a handful of Christian extremists had slammed planes into the World Trade Center, we would have turned a blind eye?

That's grossly irresponsible to suggest and reveals a bigotry that is hard for me to fathom. The Christian community (as if we have one monolithic voice outside of The Big Man Upstairs) routinely condemns the actions of ignorant individuals who commit violence in the name of God, and it doesn't pass on marching orders to its followers urging them to wreak havoc in our cities. Such actions are in direct contradiction to the teachings of Christ.

Does the Religious Right make a big ole stink over a lot of, in my view, silly things? Of course. It's always been hard for me to figure out, seeing how the Scriptures repeatedly tell us that Christianity will be persecuted:

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
- Matthew 5:10-12


So, when I see things like works of art that defame Christ or hear any individual talk poorly about my faith, I accept it. Perhaps that's one of the (many) differences between Christianity and Islam with regard to this particular episode. The images of the prophet Mohammad are considered holy, while Christianity repeatedly speaks of persecuation throughout.

Hell, our God was nailed to a tree, and we embrace it as the one chapter of the most pivotal aspect of Christ's story.

But such tolerance extends throughout the West. The Islamic community in America has denounced the cartoons, but also strenously denounced the violence. So have Jews and Hindus and atheists alike. Do we get it right 100 percent of the time? Absolutely not ... and not even close. With regard to tolerance and respecting the viewpoints of others, we do have a long way to go (turn on any cable news network and watch their 'debate' shows ... respecting other viewpoints is alien to these people).

But we don't march out as a society and kill those who think differently than us.

Radical Islamic extremists, by their actions, are telling the world that if you dare do anything we don't agree with, we're going to kill you. Whether it's an offensive cartoon in a Danish newspaper or using female U.S. soldiers to defend Saudi Arabia from invasion, we have no tolerance for your way of life and we aim to end it.

Watch the reports, listen to the calls from their leaders and witness the violence unfold in the streets.

And keep saying it ... we are better than them.

9 Comments:

Blogger hillary said...

You know, I'm not sure how saying we're better helps, even if I did accept the idea that we might be.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn good post. And I agree with you -- we are better.

BB

8:49 AM  
Blogger Holla said...

Nice, JMac.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

When I say 'we're better' I mean that in the sense that we don't order our societies to kill dissenters. I've already conceded we still have much to do with regard to respecting other viewpoints and worldviews (and 'respecting' and 'accepting' are two distinctly different things).

And, when I say 'we're better' I mean we're better than any collection of individuals - be it Christian or Jewish or Hindu or atheist or Muslim or whatever - that instructs its followers to kill innocent people to further its agenda. I don't share away from that assertion at all.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Blast!

Should be 'shy away from that assertion at all.'

1:19 PM  
Blogger Trey said...

Being "better" means having a higher standard to live up to. There is nothing wrong with thinking you are "better" than someone as long as it is used as a tool for your own piety and not a tool for self-fellation at the expense of others.

There is a delicate balance that must be maintained, but truly self-aware people are capable of knowing and acting as if they are "better" without the requisite "and they are not."

This seems quite silly (the idea that you consider yourself "better" without someone else being the "not"), but if you consider yourself or, more importantly, your ideals to be better than those of an unpersonified group, then you can separate the two linked thoughts.

Don't knock it until you sleep on it.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Trey said...

It's the exact opposite idea of the saying, "It's hard to be humble when you are perfect in every way."

You know...it's easy...at least I find it to be easy.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It'll all be better, when you choke on a chicken bone and die grasping for your cell, breathing your last.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I may make that my new motto.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home