Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Couple of things (afternoon edition)

- Over a beer last week, Publius and I chatted about the blue collar initiative that Ed Vaughan has been pushing. The former had heard of something similiar, and a little bit of research shows that the concept of Economic Gardening is where Vaughan's idea has some roots. Littleton, Col. has been doing this for a while, so it's worth the read.

- The money reports are out, and I'm shocked by two things (one pleasantly and one not so pleasantly) ... on the good side, Jane Kidd is doing a bang-up job, outraising Bill Cowsert by close to $30,000 to pull even with him in the fundraising race. It's a tough seat to win, so kudos to her. On the down side, what in the world is up with Mac Rawson? $14,000?! That's it? I've met Rawson, and I even helped his campaign out a little bit of help back in the early days, and I can't figure out what the problem is. He's got a decent shot at knocking off Ralph Hudgens if he ran a smart race and if he worked hard to raise the needed funds. He obviously isn't doing the latter, and that's disappointing.

- This is part craven pandering to his base and part revisionist history ... both are disappointing coming from John McCain, who I at least respected and admired back in 2000, but those feelings are all but gone now.

- I take a look at Grow Green's scorecards.

- This editorial is, quite frankly, patently stupid ... and I happen to like the guys who write 'em over at the Athens Banner-Herald. So you blame local government for not having the ability to change federal policy regarding its grant? Am I the only one wondering that if the local government had opted for this suggested course of action, another editorial probably would criticized them for doing so. It sets up a can't-win scenario ... particularly when you concede the mayor did all the right things.

- I asked him to do this, so please check out Russ's comparison of Krystal's and White Castle's.

- I'm very much proud to be a Democrat, but I hate these kinds of arguments. Some particular individuals in both parties may have questionable moral behavior, but to make a blanket argument accusing one of being more moral than the other ain't going to accomplish anything.

- OK, as I continue to criticize some of the arguments of my fellow party members, dude ... it's free speech. The signs are going up in a public area which permits their display, so quit taking 'em down. Few things irritate me more than people taking down campaign signs ... as if their removal or destruction will secure victory for your candidate.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane Kemp!? That's a match made in heaven I'm sure!

8:07 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

A slip of Fruedian kind ... duly noted and appropriately changed.

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Xon said you would like to have lunch sometime. Well, step up, white man, and let's do it.

Thursdays are good for me.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

I wanna have lunch with you. You all should travel up here and we'll go to Portillos right by where I work!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Adrian Pritchett said...

Huh? I've heard a lot about how signs are illegal in the public right-of-way.

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea they are illegal. and tacky.

aquariusrizing

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding the moral/immoral argument. The only benefit I see is Repubs, who've claimed the moral highground, then crapped all over it for the past 6 years hypocrasy has been revealed. Perhaps the beginning of the end for them. A more moderate, progressive POV is needed if the US is going to last in a form we're all comfortable with.

As far as the sign complaint post. I believe both lots in question are either on the right of way and/or Kemp's property. So they're not going anywhere.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home