Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Couple of things

- OK, now I kinda agree with the Athens Banner-Herald editorial staff ... the lawyers for BYX appear to not realize they, you know, actually won. As a result, they keep pushing for promises that, to my understanding the University of Georgia has already given them.

- Ah Denny my boy ... continuing that freefall into irrelevance.

- Doug McKillip is out in front on this, which means he's being proactive, and I kinda like that. Listen, I support raising the minimum wage, but I don't support a living wage, and I've admitted that before. I also understand and respect most of the arguments against a minimum wage hike, so no real need for its ardent opponents to sweep in here ... however, Rep. Jerry Keen's particular argument is absurd to me. The Republican from St. Simons Island said he didn't support it because it would eliminate part-time jobs for young people. Just so you're clear ... this guy appears to be not so much concerned about overall employment issues resulting from an increase, but rather what directly impacts 16-year-olds rather than, say, single mothers working two jobs to make ends meet.

- You're right Laura, but I don't think an orange vest would have deterred the shooter in this particular case.

- Ken Rosenthal tells me not to worry about Daisuke Matsuzaka. I'll try to take his word on it.

- Apparently the Athens-Clarke County Library has been transformed a brothel according to Keith Johnson.

- I swear, if someone can find me The Mighty Orbots on DVD, I'd buy 'em in a heartbeat. As of now, I'm stuck with short clips from YouTube.

- Blake takes another look at future mayoral races.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Rep. Keen says anything remotely resembling compasssion for poor people, he'll lose in the next Republican primary he faces.

Just FYI- There were less than 20 State House races in which the winner got less than 20% and less than 10 in which the winner got 10% or less.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

On the latter point, I agree.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should read 20 seats that winner got less than 60% - 10 winner got less than 55%.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In other words, out of 180 house seats, only 10 were competitive.

Thanks for keeping me straight, jmac.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dennis getting in only helps John Edwards, I think. If you remember from the Iowa Caucus 3 years ago, Dennis told all of his supporters who wouldn't amount to a delegate to join Edwards.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I was with you, but thanks for the clarification. Plus, anytime you can insert a random Anchorman into the conversation, I think it's win-win.

I always thought the Kucinich/Edwards voting bloc was odd, however small and rather ineffective it was. But I remember hearing that from other folks.

I'm a big Edwards fan, and I know folks who are high on him this time around, but I don't see him making as big of a splash. If both Obama and Clinton jump into this thing, I think everyone else gets trounced.

And who knows what'll happen if Gore wants to run, which I don't think will occur.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dennis grew up in a poor family and still identifies largely with the Two America's message.

I'm a huge fan of Edwards too, I went up to Iowa for the Presidential Primaries.

Obama has not been vetted, Edwards has. That may seem like nothing but Obama has only been vetted for a State Senate race, which is nothing.

Mark Warner all of a sudden dropped out - I think everyone thinks that is a result of something in his past.

Edwards has a shot at this because he has the best message and he is the best messenger. He's up in the polls in Iowa and he won South Carolina last time. He's been courting labor with much success in Nevada while Obama is just now starting.

Sure the media is propping Obama up, but soon they will be trying to bring him back down to reality.

Whoever can position himself as the alternative to Hillary, I think will win. To me it's a toss up between Edwards and Obama.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

With Warner, I kept hearing two options ...

1. Something cropped up from his past, and he bowed out;

2. Clinton offered him, in principle, the VP slot if he'd pull out, never thinking she'd have to contend with Obama (or possibly Gore).

The first one is the one that's most plausible, though the second one is the weird conspiracy theory of the month, I suppose.

Again, don't get me wrong since I backed Edwards strongly the last time around, I still think that barring anything earth-shattering in Obama's past, his star potential is too great for the former to overcome. Folks are falling all over themselves when he strolls into town. He'll have some catch-up to play, sure, but he's got the charisma to command attention.

Of course ... I ain't sold Hillary's running yet.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Polusplanchnos said...

Johnathan, is your dismissal of Kucinich based on the number of his supporters?

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home