Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Couple of things

- The Local Redevelopmenet Authority is taking the next step toward handing over the Naval School property to the University of Georgia, which isn't a bad thing ... particularly since they want a contingency plan laid out in case plans for the proposed medical school fall through. On a related note, I think my hometown is paranoid for no good reason. It's been explicitly explained that the expansion of the medical college will only increase opportunities for training rather than decrease enrollment at the Medical College of Georgia, and that such expansion is necessary due to the shortage of medical personnel and the demand for such additional avenues of training. The concern from Augusta seems to be that folks will want to stick around in Athens-Clarke County, and they're probably right. But this seems to be a pretty poor reason to justify not expanding in our community. If anything, it means there should be some efforts in Augusta to invest in its entertainment industry to make the city as marketable as Athens-Clarke County.

- There's got to be more to this story. I know Jose Boza, and I like him. It's seems a little puzzling as to why they would suddenly opt to dismiss him and only him ... particularly over the wishes of the existing superintendent.

- I think this is a good idea for two reasons ... first, it enables a core group of supporters to work to monitor progress in the community regarding the implementation of the recommendations from Partners for a Prosperous Athens and second, it sets up a foundation which could have the ability to distribute funds to non-profits in need.

- Rental registration is back ... kind of. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now. And, in most encouraging news, our two new commissioners - Kelly Girtz and Doug Lowry - don't have strong feelings on it either way, with Girtz saying he'd rather focus on the behaviors and enforcement of existing ordinances then develop a new rental registration law.

- It's things like, say, blind allegience to Rudy Guiliani that make me question the whole process. This is someone who strongly disagrees with the Religious Right on practically every social issue out there, yet folks in the Republican Party are flocking to him.

8 Comments:

Blogger hillary said...

I like how rental registration guy freely admits that his bill is targeted at a particular group of people.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Al_Davison said...

I overheard the phone interview w/ Ms. Floyd and somehow I just knew that she wasn't going to print that nobody is thinking about this or has had any discussions about it or has it on their radar screen other than the ABH. In terms of this being a local story, it isn't.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shouldn't go here, but ... Retired cowboy, did you tap my phone? Look through my notes? Rifle through the file folder of research? No? You heard THE interview. I see -- one source -- yet you accuse me of stretching limited information. Come on, man, the story accurately characterized the level of local interest. --Allison

6:47 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Allison, I'm legitimately flattered you're reading.

How's life?

7:01 PM  
Blogger Holla said...

JMac, would you be happier if conservatives were all flocking to a rigidly conservative candidate? The fact that the GOP is at this point (still early, admittedly) having trouble finding a marketable social conservative to run for president (Gingrich, I suppose?, but is he marketable, and other than toeing the line on abortion I'm not sure he's really much of a social conservative either) should indicate that the GOP in general and "the conservative movement" is struggling after six years of Bush the II. I would think you would take this as a good thing, not as a reason to complain. Pitiful conservatives, left with nothing but a former federal prosecutor, monster government advocate, and socially questionable former mayor of New York.

Me? I'm voting for Ron Paul. :-)

10:09 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

No, as a good Democrat I'm glad to see the Republicans scrambling a bit with their nomination process ... particularly after the past few years.

I suppose my comment was more toward a general disbelief that the Religious Right, which ranks so many social issues (i.e. gay rights or abortion) so high on their lists, are so willing to look the other way when push comes to shove.

I'd like to think it's a refreshing change of pace that signals a greater movement toward moderation, but I don't think that's the case.

Once I saw Ron Paul jump in there, I knew you'd be for him. :) I was thinking you'd be a Chuck Hagel man until then.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Holla said...

Yeah, Paul has no chance of course, at all (though his opposition to the Iraq War, since the beginning, might make him interesting to more centrist voters). But if he can just get into one of those "battle royal" debate thingies, I'd have a good time watching him.

Remember that Paul was the Libertarian Party's presidential candidate in 1988. He's not your typical Republican, at all.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Josh M. said...

I'm a Ron Paul guy as well, but consider myself in the Giuliani camp as far as legit candidates go. As a fiscal conservative and social liberal (who believes the president oh-so-greatly affects fiscal policy more), I love that a champion of the religious right hasn't yet appeared. And I can't... urp...

"Can you take me HIIIIIGH ENUUUUFFF,... It's never over, yesterday's just a memory..."

Oh, sorry about that.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home