Monday, March 26, 2007

Couple of things

- There's a nice wrap-up of pending legislation in the Georgia General Assembly. The accompanying story fleshes out the key issues a little more. Of particular note is the fact that there will probably be another vote on predatory lending after it tied 84-84 in the House last week (maybe Rep. Keith Heard will actually vote the proper way this time).

- The Sunday Sales issue is frustrating to me. This appears to be a no-brainer. As I've repeatedly said, it's not legalizing the sale of alcohol on Sunday. Rather it lets each community determine on its own what is best for its citizens. What bothers me is that, despite overwhelming support for this bill according to most statewide polls, there's been so much resistance to its passage based on the shenanigans of a vocal few. And this vocal few has made so much noise that many in the Georgia General Assembly don't even want to have a recorded vote on it. That, naturally, is ridiculous and is a sign of political posturing trumping common sense. The bill's a good one, it makes sense and it should pass.

- Sweet!

- Yesterday, I talked a little about ACTION's efforts to sell its property.

- I agree 110 percent with this editorial, but I just wished they had connected the dots a little better. That is, many of the proposals for the usage of the Naval School property mesh nicely with the needs Partners for a Prosperous Athens have identified. Coincidentally enough, IHN of Athens submitted a proposal for a child care center to the Local Redevelopment Authority. Now, it's pretty apparent the University of Georgia is gonna get the property, but the federal rules dictate that the area homeless providers get fair compensation in the form of property elsewhere or cash. It's the intent of our organization to take said compensation and pursue a child care center.

1 Comments:

Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

I wonder if Krystal would be interested in my childhood memories of going to Krystal with my father and eating "gut-bombs," which is what we called the burgers. I don't think referring to the havoc one's product plays with the digestive system is good marketing.

I could tell the story of how I was in the drive through late at night with Carrie when I decided to date Bly (story featured in the Valentine's ABH a couple years ago). Or about the time the white hick-hopper in the drive through told me "you like ta get shot at" when I asked his passenger a question about my missing beverage, apparently taking the driver by surprise (I had driven from the window but I walked back to see if the car at the window could pass me my drink). Or the time I decided to see if I could eat one of their burgers in one bite (I can). Ah, Krystal, how I love thee.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home