Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Well now

John Huie put together a nice piece on District Six Commissioner Carl Jordan in this week's Flagpole and, positioned in the final paragraph, is this little nugget of information ...

If Jordan doesn’t run again, (Elton) Dodson says, he’s heard rumblings that local blogger Jonathan McGinty might be interested. So might one of Jordan’s previous opponents, former commissioner Marilyn Farmer or businessman Bob Beal. But, he says, “so long as [Jordan] can articulate clearly what the interests of constituents are - and they feel connected to that message - they certainly can’t argue that he’s not been attentive and responsive to their concerns.”

I'm involved in community 'rumblings.'

Seriously, though, I actually might be interested. It's no secret that I'm passionate about many issues (I do run a blog that focuses on local politics after all), and, again, it's no secret that I'm not shy to voice my opinion on those issues. I'd by lying to you if I said I hadn't thought about seeking a public office at some point in my life. I'd be lying to you if I said I hadn't considered whether or not I could do a good job for the community by seeking Jordan's seat when he decides to step down.

But there are several important things folks need to know ...

- The circumstances of my life are vastly different on May 29, 2007 than they were on May 29, 2006 as I'm expecting my first child.

- Jordan, as noted in the article, hasn't said he won't run again. He's got a group of commissioners he enjoys working with and that's energized him. Unless this Carl governs more like Rove and less like Jordan, I wouldn't run for that seat until he decides he can't serve anymore.

- My desire to serve in some capacity very well may result in me seeking a public office, perhaps even the District Six seat in 2008, but it also means I very well may opt to volunteer with a local non-profit here in town that needs some help. I want to serve in a capacity that allows me to do the most good.

It's flattering that some folks think I could be a good commissioner, and make no mistake that I am interested if the circumstances were right. Still, it isn't even the summer of 2007 and the election isn't until fall of 2008 ... so we've got some time here.

Right now though Jordan is the commissioner and, though I've disagreed with him on some things, he's been a responsive and dedicated public servant who was a voice in the wilderness for several things regarding land use, public transportation and environmental protections.

9 Comments:

Blogger Polusplanchnos said...

Babies, rarely, deter the wheels of justice.

7:35 AM  
Blogger hillary said...

McGinty, we know you're just having that baby because it'll look good on the campaign literature.

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Jonathan Go

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, whether you run or not.

Who is in D6 now?

Darren

10:36 AM  
Blogger Flannery O'Clobber said...

I hope Carl runs again. It's taken me more or less his entire commission tenure to appreciate him but these days I definitely do. The man is dedicated, stubborn, and methodical -- and every body needs at least one such person.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you'd definitely be a good candidate! I don't live in the district (otherwise I'd be running) but I think you'd certainly fit in politically with the rest of the lapdogs - I mean Corruptioners. Only problem is that you're not really corrupt, so you might be seen as the odd man out.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

That's high praise coming from you my good man.

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To follow up on Chuck's comments, you would indeed fit in with the commission as currently constituted (and as it is likely to remain for the foreseeable future).

While we may frequently disagree on policy, I have no doubts as to your honesty and integrity. So, as someone who has thrown his own hat into the ring, I encourage you to do the same - if that is where your heart leads you and your family signs on for the hassles of campaigning and (hopefully) governing (for they are many).

1:34 PM  
Blogger Flannery O'Clobber said...

Er, dammit. Now I feel like a jerk. What I meant to say was "JMac, you'd make a good candidate, but I like Carl, too."

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home