Monday, June 11, 2007

Good show

I had a mild disagreement with him over the Clarke Central school rankings, but my old boss nailed this one right here in his defense of their endorsement of Nate Pulliam. Again, I don't agree with said endorsement, but I understand and respect the editorial board's decision for the exact reasons he spells out here.

But, even better, is the inter-Morris News Service battle as he pokes fun at The Augusta Chronicle's endorsement of Jim Whitehead. Having grown up in that town and still having family down there, I read it a good bit, and I have to say this particular editorial page editor they have in Michael Ryan is a gentleman who does a disservice to people with rational thought everywhere. It's as if he simply gets press releases from the Republican National Committee and merely sticks them up as editorials with his primary deciding factor for a topic being that of if it will get middle-class and wealthy white men really angry (by using half-truths and talking points, of course).

From Winders' blog ...

On a related note, I’m not sure if our sister newspaper in Augusta endorsed Jim Whitehead or Jesus Christ. A chunk from its endorsement: “There is no other candidate with Jim Whitehead’s experience and stature. No one in the race better reflects this God-fearing, flag-respecting, self-reliant region than Jim Whitehead. No one else could hit the ground running in Washington like he could. And we don’t believe anyone’s motives for running are any more virtuous: When Mr. Whitehead goes to Washington, it won't be either an ego trip or a power trip; finally, when you hear someone say ‘I’m from the government, and I’m here to help,’ you’ll be able to believe it.”

Wow. I wonder if they interviewed the same guy we did.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quote: It's as if he simply gets press releases from the Republican National Committee and merely sticks them up as editorials

Hmm. Whereas simply taking press releases from the Office of Heidi W. Davison and putting them up as editorials is so much better.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Polusplanchnos said...

Everytime I go back and visit the folks in Augusta and read the Chronicle, the editorial page, with all the letters, both saddens me and cracks me up.

Augusta really is a weird town, because I strongly doubt its demographics support such an over-the-top neoconservatism.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home