Sunday, June 24, 2007

Weekend wrapup

Another year, another successful and entertaining AthFest weekend.

- No surprise, but Tin Cup Prophette was absolutely awesome. Easily my favorite local artist, and one of her first songs was Speak or Spill Down, which meant I knew it would be a good evening.

- In fact, all of Friday's shows at Little King's Club were excellent. I had never seen Venice Is Sinking, but they gave one of the best performances of the entire weekend as they performed right after Amanda and crew. I've seen Modern Skirts a few times, and they put on a pretty good show. Plus, you really can't go wrong with the venue either ... plenty of room on the patio, right next to the main stage and cold PBR for $1.50.

- Met up with Tim and Carrie to catch the tail end of The Whigs on Saturday, before embarking to see bits and pieces of Count and Bobby Yang and his Unrivaled Players (the former of whom was pretty good).

- Kudos to the entire volunteer staff which put on this whole thing. I've been coming the past couple of years, but this was the first time I ventured out both days and the amount of work that goes into this event is astonishing. If you know someone who was involved with it, be sure to pat them on the back for a job well done.

- Got to say that, looking back on it, Friday night was really the most fun I've had in a long time. Not only was the music great, but it involved Ed, I got to hang out with Carissa (where we teamed up to win a few rounds of cornhole), catch up with Amos (an old buddy from college who I hadn't seen in about five years) and see plenty of random folks that I never get the chance to regularly spend time with. I won't lie ... I was a little bummed on Saturday morning that it was over.

- I wasn't able to see Caroline Monroe, but she is playing at Little King's Club on July 13, so perhaps I can catch her then.

- And, with all this going on, I still managed to find time to drive to Augusta on Saturday during the day to help my dad drywall the expansion of my parents' master bathroom and then put together a Swing 'N Bounce on Sunday morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home