Monday, July 09, 2007

Some watering questions

As I've argued before, I'm on board with the water restrictions put in place by the state and local governments. However, I do have to say that the hand watering elements of Athens-Clarke County restrictions seem a little odd to me.

From what I can gather, I am forbidden from hand watering, or watering with a can, except for my allotted weekend day ... even if I fill up my can from the kitchen sink. Now, it's seems sort of self-defeating to restrict my filling up of a water can from the kitchen sink so I can use it outside, but not restrict the fact that I could needlessly waster water by running every faucet in my house all day, every day for no good reason.

Am I missing something in my interpretations here?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's because of state law. ACC can't change these aspects of the restrictions, stupid as they may be.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Flannery O'Clobber said...

No, that's quite accurate. Ridiculously based on the notion that we can't determine what essential watering levels are, so we'll just assume all indoor watering is essential.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I missing something in my interpretations here?

This came up years ago when we had similar restrictions.

Apparently you can even take water and store in jugs on your "regular" day, and use it to hand water other days, because once it leaves the faucet, it's wasterwater.

If you really want to challenge the bureaucratic mind, try to determine the legality of using "gray" water to water your flowers. Using gray water is touted as a water saving endeavor.

Likewise, you can hand water (or even use a hose if it's set up correctly) from a rain barrel. Course who's to know how that rain barrel gets filled up?

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home