Monday, December 03, 2007

Couple of things

- Hawaii? Are they a state now? Listen, I promise to go if Dog is there, OK?

- How did Georgia get Hawaii? Well, aside from the Rose Bowl folks being a bit too stodgy, the BCS makes little to no sense.

- Speaking of bad sports news for Jmac ... trading Jacoby Ellsbury? Mother of Mary, just go ahead and sign away the entire Pawtucket team for Johann Santana, why don't you? Last time I checked, the Red Sox won the World Series with the best pitching staff in baseball. Why should we ship off one of the best young outfielders in baseball to add Santana?

- Amen Doc. Yet another reason I'm glad he's the new guy in charge at the Athens Area Chamber of Commerce and not Yahoo McScrewy.

- A nice read on Prince Avenue, and I'm pleased to see that any discussion of taking over part of the road and three-laning it won't happen for at least another six years or so. I'm still not in favor of three-laning that road and, with the potential of some much needed and very welcome economic development along that corridor, is it even feasible to ponder three-laning the section closest to downtown? I still contend that we can help transform that area in a more pedestrian-friendly environment with a 'Complete Streets' mindset without switching from four lanes to three (removing the parking spaces on the road would be a step in the right direction).

3 Comments:

Blogger jmSnowden said...

Good point on removing the parking spaces on Prince. I ride that way to work and I don't understand having a designated bike lane but then letting people park in it. People not looking before opening their doors is also an issue.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Flannery O'Clobber said...

I continue to disagree on the parking spaces. They're desperately needed. But I also don't care for bike lanes. So there's me, the Prince Ave. contrarian.

On the three lanes, I don't care enough to be the devil's advocate here, but I think it could work just as well as three lanes.

If we really wanted to make Prince Avenue work for all its constituents, though, we should probably also look at on-street parking, curb cuts (damn you, Wendy's drive through!), and the like.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm not loving the Ellsbury deal either. But I think they're worried about the wheels falling off Curt Schilling and/or Tim Wakefield.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home