Thursday, June 26, 2008

Farewell WNEG

I have mixed feelings about this, though I tend to think it's much more good than it is bad. I just have some personal attachment to Channel 32 through my time working at the Athens Banner-Herald. I met several of my good friends there, including two I really consider close ones even we don't see each other all that much anymore.

My primary concern would be that the station not forget its Northeast Georgia roots. There is no primary outlet for news coverage for that corner of the state, and it did a wonderful job in promoting the local news scene and covering high school athletics ... particularly since the Atlanta schools dominated the coverage on their respective stations. I hope in addition to expanding coverage of events at the University of Georgia, it does continue to provide coverage for the local news and sports that endeared it to so many folks up there.

6 Comments:

Blogger ACCBiker said...

But they never really covered Athens news all that well (except for UGA centric issues and, of course, football).

9:10 AM  
Blogger hillary said...

Let me just that my life will be immeasurably poorer without the ads for Quality Foods, let alone the Billy Dilworth Show. This is a sad, sad day.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Oconee Democratic said...

Most importantly, will WNEG retain the hilarious call letters and keep the CBS affiliate status for two feeds of games during March madness?

And what happens to channel 15?

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I used to work there.... I may have left a good opportunity

2:15 AM  
Blogger Scott H. said...

Pave Planet I can offer some insight there. The newsroom actually was very conscious of "overcovering" the Athens/UGA area. The station's signal covers a very large distance. Gainesville to Watkinsville and all the way North to Anderson, S.C. While UGA/Athens could probably fill a daily half hour newscast, WNEG was always trying to cover a complete picture of that entire area.

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The loss of Billy Dilworth is too profound for words. Who will carry the toupee? Who will I look to for my weekly dose of Hee Haw clips of Conway Twitty from 1972? Who will kick around that profound and lively banter?

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home