Friday, August 01, 2008

I don't know what to feel

Well, trading Manny Ramirez certainly fosters a great moral confusion for me. On one hand, Manny was heading past his prime, horrible on defense and arguably a distraction for everyone in Boston. Still, he's Manny, and Manny's always a distraction for Boston but still mashes out a .300 average with 30-plus home runs. Now that he's gone to where good ballplayers go to die, who knows what will happen.

That said, shedding his salary next year is good, and acquiring a younger outfielder who hits for power in Jason Bay ain't bad either. If he can protect Big Papi, the Red Sox are still the best team in the American League East and, with their pitching, have a legitimate shot to repeat as World Series champs.

3 Comments:

Blogger Proudlee Henpeck said...

I'm confused, too. My husband and I are major Braves fans, but big Sawx fans, also--I'm just grateful he didn't go to the NL East as some gossiped about.

LA as "where good ballplayers go to die" is perfect"--it's especially lousy with former Atlanta and Boston players.

PS Just found your blog and I like your bio, especially your quote from Micah.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Pokerista said...

I'm torn as well. I loved ManRam, even with all his baggage. But then, I loved Nomar too and his departure helped bring them the '04 WS title.

The middle of the order just won't strike the fear into the hearts of our opponents that it used to.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Mike-El said...

Fantastic deal for the Sox. I'm about as far from a Red Sox fan as one can be...but Theo and that player personnel operation of his is the modern model for How It Ought To Be Done. I think that, much like Nomar, it'll turn out that Manny was traded at exactly the right time in terms of market value and taking his eventual physical downturn into account. The only question about this deal is Jason Bay's transition from playing in front of family and friends to playing under the white-hottest spotlight in MLB. (In other words, you better hope Bay doesn't pull a Renteria....)

What I have nothing nice to say about is the way blabbermouth Schilling chucked Manny under the team bus on his way out. Is there a more reliable front-office bag man in uniform today than Red Light Curt?

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home