Saturday, August 02, 2008

Spreading the love

Over at Peach Pundit, lots of Republicans are mad at Sen. Eric Johnson contributing to Democratic candidates who shared his views on school choice. I'm torn on this issue.

On one hand, as I noted in this discussion at Tondee's Tavern, I don't think it's a bad thing when folks support people in other parties. I personally know some folks who are Republican and I think would do a fine job in public office, and I wouldn't have any qualms supporting them.

That said, it is a tricky area because Johnson's problem now is that, as someone seeking the Lt. Governor's seat in 2010, he's spread money around to candidates - many unopposed - who, in turn, will send that money to Democratic challengers in contested races. As a result, he's indirectly aided a Bubber Epps or Chris Huttman.

So there's understandable resentment with Johnson over this issue and, quite frankly, it will probably severely damage any chances he would have in a contested GOP primary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home