Thursday, October 16, 2008

Ineffective arguments

Reading this Oconee Enterprise article on Superintendent-Gate doesn't make me feel any better about this thing.

Listen, I know David Weeks, and I really like the guy. He used to coach at Oconee County, and I loved chatting with him back when I worked at the paper. And we've stayed in touch over the years and, all in all, I think he's going to do a fine job as the chairman of the Oconee County Board of Education.

Still, he's completely fumbled this thing.

First of all, his math doesn't add up and his logic doesn't make any sense. How in the world was the board able 'to save the taxpayers pretty significantly' in this whole thing? You're paying for two superintendent salaries right now, and you've only got one of them working for you. At a time when you're being asked to cut $350,000 or so from your budget, I would think an additional $90,000 is something that taxpayers should be upset about.

Secondly, who cares if the Clarke County Board of Education had, at one time, three superintendents? They don't right now, do they? Listen, I've got plenty of complaints about that board, and I'm optimistic we'll see some new blood over there soon enough, but this is a weird attempt to merely change the discussion by saying 'well, gee, we're not as bad as those guys.'

This whole thing was clumsy, and they should rightfully take some hits for it. It's poor leadership to renew an employee to a three-year extension and then, just a few weeks later, change your mind and force him to retire. On top of that, you keep it quiet that you're paying for two superintendents and have the nerve to ask the schools to cut back on training, transportation and building maintenance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home