Wednesday, December 10, 2008

There's always a 'but' ...

OK, so there's good news and bad news ...

The good news is that Gov. Sonny Perdue is open to using bonds to generate fiscal stimulus for our state economy, which is something I'd like to see done at the local level as well (though I'll expand on that at a later time). Given that this is some measure of Keynesian economics, I'm naturally inclined to think this is the right action during such difficult economic times.

The bad news?

Perdue and Cagle both cast the recession as a chance to streamline and scale back government.

"I think we have an opportunity to come out of this downturn, frankly, with better value, more efficient and better able to serve Georgians' needs than ever before," Perdue said.


I'm all for a more efficient government, but I'm not exactly filled with confidence or optimism given the performance of the past few years. All I've seen are drastic and haphazard cuts to vital services coupled with increasing levels of difficulty to access said services. There's nothing terribly efficient about our state government, particularly based on the past six years.

It seems to me that for too many folks, 'more efficient' means 'reckless cuts to necessary investments.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home