Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Great minds think alike

Here I had two good ideas for posts, and the good folks at Athens Politics beat me to the punch.

Here are their offerings on Gov. Perdue's odd decision to close the schools and Elton Dodson's stance on the La Puerta del Sol development.

AP does a good job rounding up the letters criticizing Perdue's move to close the schools, including my favorite one which feature this line:

Even more disturbing is the thought that 50 kids who would have been on one bus to one destination are now being taken by 50 different cars to 50 different locations - not saving resources, but shifting the burden.

Regarding Dodson, I had sent him a letter asking if it was true that he was unsure if he would support LPDS because it might endanger his relationship with States McCarter, as the Athens Banner-Herald had indicated in Sunday's In The Loop. Dodson was kind enough to respond to both me and AP, sending both of us copies of letters he has sent to the editor at the ABH.

Dodson has said that he personally supports the notion of LPDS, but will base his vote on what that particular community wants to have happen. You've got to respect that and, if you support LPDS as I do, then I'd recommend you drop him a line and voice your support.

For the record, here is a snippet from what Dodson sent me:

Though as a citizen I am a regular customer and cheerleader for Mr. Rubio and his contributions to our community, my decisions as an elected representative must be consistent with the needs and demands of my constituents, especially where a proposed rezoning will directly impact surrounding neighborhoods. Rarely do so many neighborhood associations lend their collective voices to formally oppose a rezoning, as has been the case here. I would be derelict in my duty if I did not separate whatever personal feelings I have about this project from the public dialogue created by it. I have made no decision on this matter, and will not until public comment has ended during our voting meeting. ... Whatever anger a commissioner may direct my way on any issue is irrelevant where it is contrary to the best interests of our community. If a colleague chooses to
sever a relationship with me over a single rezoning, I believe the cost of maintaining such a relationship is in any case too great an obstacle to effective representation and I welcome the breach.


Even though I've disagreed with Dodson on some issues - most notably the smoking ban - I'd like to give him plenty of credit for touching base with me and explaining his views. Kudos to him!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I welcome the breach"????

Dodson writes like a founding father. I kind of like it.

BB

9:09 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

You like something about Dodson? Who knew it took his grammatical masteries to get you fired up about something he did!

Seriously, I may not agree with everything he does, I give him some mad props for his rationale and his response.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do find it funny that he is making these high-minded statements about listening to all his constituents until the end of public comment, etc. when he chose to ignore the opposers on issues like mass grading, the smoking ban, etc.

BB

11:39 AM  
Blogger Cufflink Carl said...

Yes, it was pretty classy of him to reach out, and hopefully he can still be swayed.
The problem is that most folks don't really care much either way, but the anti-LPDS forces have been doing a great job of rallying up. Those of us on the pro-Rubio side should do the same.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home