Friday, August 04, 2006

Couple of things

- I don't necessarily agree with the fraternity vote held by the Athens-Clarke County Commission (though, technically, it is a special use), but I think JT and the Athens Banner-Herald editorial staff is dead-on in firing back at the University. This whole thing happened because administrators decided to push off some fraternities off campus for no other real reason than to take their land for more office space. As a result, this directly impacting the community, including parts of Athens-Clarke County which had previously not been impacted by these issues ... so the community responded to the actions of the University. While, again, I'm not 100 percent on board with the decisions made on Tuesday by the commission, I can't exactly fault them for doing something.

- Uhhhh ... wasn't it also the generation that brought civil rights to the country, expanded health care and presided over the emergence of the modern American economy? So ... save the world from Nazism and do all of that, and you still wanna pick?

- It's kinda cute. Georgia Tech thinks it can win the ACC title ... apparently forgetting they have to play at Virginia Tech and Clemson, as well as a game against Miami.

- Speaking of football, I picked up The Sporting News annual high school football preview issue ... complete with Jimmy Clausen on the cover. Not only does it - as most high school/recruiting publications do - tout Clausen as the greatest prep quarterback prospect since John Elway (I believe I read that about Matthew Stafford last year ... and Eli Manning a few years back ... Tim Couch anyone?), but it apparently forgets the depth of quarterback Notre Dame has right now. If I had to pick today, I'm going to go on a limb and say Zach Frasier, who signed last year, is the quarterback of the future for the Irish ... I mean, after all, this is a Clausen we're talking about.

If he's anything like his brothers, he'll go 1-7 against Georgia.

- And, speaking of sports again, I'm considering putting up an all-sports blog (again). The last one didn't work out for a variety of reasons, but I think my newer idea would be considerably more manageable. Would focus on college and high school athletics, particularly football ... the latter sport being something I miss being around very much.

3 Comments:

Blogger hillary said...

Is it really office space the university's creating more of? That's not profitable. Also, it would imply that UGA's adding staff or making their lives more luxurious.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Al_Davison said...

A good friend of mine on the Planning Commission told me that this was just an unfortunate "to-do" about nothing more than what almost everybody thought was already there. It was actually a surprise to the Planning Commission and the Commissioners that the "special use" designation was not already in there because everyone just assumed that it had always been that way.

In fact, my friend is wondering if this was an accidental oversight or if somebody snuck that part out of the land use plan when it was last revised. Nobody seems to know how or why it was not in there to begin with but the issue just had not come up until now.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Holla said...

I was pulling so hard for Jimmy to choose Tennessee. Please, please, please, Lord, give the Vols another Clausen! Our D-line will be happy to let him use both hands, just like the older Iceman.

But, alas, he went to South Bend. That's an acceptable second-place result, since I am no fan of Nore Dame, either.

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home