Wednesday, December 06, 2006

More blogger wars

So the election's behind us and what have we learned?

Don't screw with Jason Winders.

In what is definitely an inside baseball kinda thing now made public, Winders, the executive editor of the Athens Banner-Herald, is having a minor quarrel with Jeff Snowden, a local PR/ad guy here in town who handled press and public relations for Charlie Maddox's campaign.

Why? Well, over at Athens Politics, the latter, posting as 'Suburban Chaos' unleashed several strongly worded comments in several directions and then attempted to make nice.

Winders, understandably, took some issue with this and has since called him out.

What do I know? I only know Snowden by reputation and a handful of phone conversations we've had. In our dealings, he's always been open, kind, funny and somewhat hard to read. He's a nice enough guy, and I'll take him up on that 'let's get a beer' offer one day.

I did have some issues with several, somewhat juvenille mistakes the Maddox camp made, and that can be traced back, somewhat, to him. And surely his comments were over-the-top at Athens Politics and definitely disappointing.

Like I said, I've interacted with him on a handful of instances, so to see him go from a somewhat responsible discussion over local politics to downright nastiness and mud-slinging, regardless of who started it first, is unfortunate. Even in my harshest criticism of Maddox, I recognized that there was a human being brave enough to stand up and speak behind those ideas (however much I disagreed with them or felt they weren't thought out enough) and did my best to reflect that in my writings.

What else do I know? I know that I like Winders. I know that I used to work for him, and he was a good boss and a fair boss. And I know that he's slow to anger, so for him to volley some shots like this means he was rightfully bothered.

I also know election season is over, and we've got new commissioners coming on board. I, for one, am pleased with the election results. However, for those who are not, I hope you'll find a way to responsibly and respectfully convey your wishes and concerns to the local government, and I'd also encourage you to continue to find ways to plug into the vast network of area non-profits in this community.

Find a way to make a difference and follow through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home