Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Buckin' Broncos

Randomly inserted in my posting over the possible ban of using rifles for hunting in Athens-Clarke County, Al asked my thoughts on Boise State's 43-42 overtime win over Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl ...

- Easily the best bowl game of the year, and short of Florida and Ohio State going through three or four overtimes, it'll be hard to top it. A hook-and-lateral and the Statue of Liberty? Are you kidding me?

- That hook-and-lateral play was flawlessly executed. I don't think folks realize how hard that is to execute, and how well the Broncos sold that thing. With Oklahoma play four of its defensive backs back at the goal line, Boise State did an excellent job getting them to come up and shift to the right.

- The Broncos are a good team, but wouldn't make it against Ohio State, Florida, Southern Cal or Michigan. They're a feel-good story, but beating one of the two weakest teams in the BCS doesn't mean the mid-majors have legitimacy all of a sudden.

- One of the best five games I've ever seen? Possible. It's arguably one of the two or three best endings, but the game itself was rather boring for the most part. Not until Oklahoma began its furious comeback did my interest peak and Boise State's character emerge. I still can't see anything surpassing last year's Rose Bowl between Texas and Southern Cal ... with everything on the line. It was Ali-Frazier of the college football world.

1 Comments:

Blogger Al_Davison said...

Thanks, JMac!

Well, the game started off with some serious monkey plays by BSU, too. I can't remember exactly what the plays were since, at that time, I thought it was kind of a novelty and though I was happy that the Broncos drew first blood, I figured that was probably "it" for them. Admittedly, I flipped channels a little and did some more of our long-neglected housework while checking in from time-to-time and always seeming to miss the most recent scoring plays by a few seconds.

At some point I started thinking that BSU had a real shot at this game so, I sat down and actually watched it - I'm glad I did!

If you know me, you might be surprised at how excited I was about this game because I'm not a huge football fan (though, I used to be many years ago). But, the BSU brand of play could sway me back into the fold. I guess I just loved the risk-taking and pure fun of the BSU team's performance.

In the spirit of another random insertion, I was mightily impressed by the defense of the UGA roundballers against Winsconsin. If we had not had our season's worst shooting performance, it could have been another big upset win for Felton's Dawgs. I don't envy them having to go to Florida, next. That could be pretty ugly.
Let's go see the S. Carolina game!

Thanks for your thoughts!

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home