Thursday, February 15, 2007

And so it begins ...

It's clear that Blake and I are talking to the same folks because I've heard what he's heard regarding the 10th Congressional District. So, that in mind, let's give some thoughts ...

- Tom Chasteen would be an excellent candidate for Democrats, but I think it's important that we keep the eye on the ball here. I'd argue that Chasteen would be a stronger candidate to run for the State Senate seat recently vacated by Ralph Hudgens. The 10th is an overwhelmingly Republican district with Charlie Norwood collecting close to 70 percent of the vote in 2006. This isn't to say that I don't think the right candidate couldn't run a competitive race there, but I also concede that it's a tremendously uphill climb. So, big picture-wise, let's work on building that foundation and not get fascinated by 'big seats' like this one.

- Doc Eldridge would be interesting, but I ultimately don't think he'll jump in to either race, particularly if Barry Fleming and Jim Whitehead opt to run. Plus, I don't see him wanting to take on Brian Kemp for the State Senate seat.

- Ditto for former Augusta mayor Bob Young. He's going to run for something one of these days, but I don't see this being a good fit for him. He's got a nice job working for the Bush Administration right now, so there's no need to put that in jeopardy before 2008.

- Alan Powell ... great candidate, but please stay in the Georgia General Assembly.

- Terry Holley? Um, no.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the demographic of Columbia County? I have heard it is more Republican than Oconee, with twice as many people. It will be interesting to see who can get the most media buys as quickly as possible in the Morris papers, few TV stations like WYFF and WNEG, and maybe even the lousy-signaled radio stations like WGAU and WDUN

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to ask "what are..."

9:57 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Columbia County is pretty darn Republican, and probably a little more so than Oconee County. In the latter I would suspect you've still got some rural sections that are populated by old-school Democrats. Columbia County has boomed development-wise and lots of conservative folks from Augusta-Richmond County have flocked there.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home