Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Couple of things

- I will say this in a moment of levity, Republicans often get unnecessarily maligned when they propose things like changing the eligibility status of programs like PeachCare. I mean, it really isn't like they hate poor people or children. That said, I do think that the proposed changes are kinda foolish and unnecessary, and that Rep. Lynn Westmoreland comes across as kinda non-caring toward the affected people. I also relate to this on a personal level as good friends of mine fit into this financial bracket upon marriage and provided health insurance for their daughter this way.

- OK, actually being someone who has regularly dealt with background checks, these concerns are pretty unfounded in my opinion. If anything, if the checks are 'imprecise' it swings the way of not being complete enough rather than listing things the applicant never did. This is something which can be remedied rather easily by setting in place strict policies for conducting the checks and how to interpret the findings.

- I say that Sunday Sales is a local issue to be handled by individual communities.

- I like this Clint Ricker fella.

- I'll be honest, I'm not sure how to process this editorial in the Athens Banner-Herald. I mean, well, yeah ... candidates for office from either political party shouldn't be unethical. That makes sense for a tremendously wide variety of reasons. If the editorial is arguing that ethics should be center-stage as a platform for Democrats to run on, I'd disagree with that and point to the lack of success Mark Taylor had running against Sonny Perdue. Relying on the Bobby Kahn approach of 'look how awful the other guys are' is ridiculous and not going to bring anyone into our camp. Thinking of bold ideas and presenting them to the public can.

- Take this heaping dose of logic you Saving Grace-lovin' Comer people!

- In what is sure to devolve into a ridiculous conversation, Peach Pundit asks if we the present should apologize for the past. I don't necessarily know the answer to that question, though I think there's nothing inherently wrong about a nation apologizing for its mistakes. In fact, if you look at countries which have done just that, you'll find genuine progress in those respective issues (consider post-war Germany's response to Nazism).

- I've given him a rough time as of late, but Bill Shipp's column today is pretty interesting and talks about some of the things being done at the Georgia General Assembly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home