Friday, February 16, 2007

Couple of things

- I expected the Local Redevelopment Authority to do this, and I think it's a good thing. I'm not crazy about the University of Georgia getting all of the property, but I can also recognize the service it will bring. I'm also very glad the non-profit providers will be compensated in some form or fashion. They're supportive of our ideas, and that's a very positive thing. I'll take land somewhere.

- See ... this is why I buy Jif.

- I'm incredibly glad to see something being done regarding Sunday Sales. I think Sadie Fields's argument is severely lacking. I mean the mere ability for me to purchase alcohol won't do anything to weaken my faith. Plus that even misreads the bill which, as I've noted before, merely lets communities vote on whether or not they want to permit Sunday sales of alcohol.

- Hey! Frank's kid is going to play football at Navy.

- Bravo to the folks at the Athens Banner-Herald for giving kudos to both Bill Cowsert and Jane Kidd. Cowsert is embracing an interesting transportation option and has a good vision for 316, while Kidd was classy when others were not.

- I'm debating a bit with Jeff Emanuel.

- Quite frankly, here's a rudimentary version of Susan Mattern's objection to criminal background checks ... 'don't do background checks on me, just people who are my boss ... or work with kids ... or clean our floors ... or are accountants ... just not me.'

- Cpl. Charles Chapeau throws down the gauntlet with Adrian. OK, well, not really. But he does offer some clarity on the driving-in-the-left-lane discussion.

4 Comments:

Blogger hillary said...

Hey now. Reread that opinion column on criminal background checks. There are actual reasons given for opposing them.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

True, but many of those reasons were more like conditions and making speculations of how the policy should be implemented.

For instance, I have a hard time believing UGA would put in place a policy which would dismiss a professor for something like civil disobedience.

Personally, I also think the policy is being pitched as something for the entire university based on her own concessions that some groups would need background checks. I imagine the rationale is to not make any particular group feel 'less' than the others by subjecting them all to the checks.

While is why I think it's disingenious for her to even include her concession that 'some' are OK, but her particular group isn't OK.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Martin Matheny said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Flannery O'Clobber said...

Yes, please re-read.

Also, my objection to criminal checks is the same as it was for the Athens-Clarke County School system's proposed drug tests --

It's a waste of money, doesn't achieve anything particularly meaningful, but does create a climate of distrust.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home