Monday, February 19, 2007

Howell-watch

Well, the kid went out there and actually won. And he beat Phil Mickelson of all people, giving me conflited emotions all afternoon on Sunday. Safe to say, however, that when we finally reached the playoff, I was firmly in the camp of my boy Charles Howell III (or as Dave referred to him in a text-message ... 'Chucky Three Sticks').

He was clutch like you wouldn't believe. Down by four shots at one point on the back nine, he sank a pair of long birdie putts, drilled an eight-footer at No. 18 to keep the pressure on Mickelson, who then bogeyed the final hole to set up the playoff.

After sinking a tough six-footer for par on the first playoff hole, Howell yanked his drive on the next hole way left and ended up on the cart path. He was able to make a tremendous chip to get up-and-down to save par and force a third playoff hole, where he sank the tournament-winning putt.

After he won, I asked the The Wife what the over-under was on my mother crying. A phone call home had my dad answer the phone, partially because she was teary-eyed and partially because she was on the phone with Howell's mom.

Aside from picking up his second victory on the PGA Tour (and first since 2002), he's also all but clinched a spot in the 2007 Masters, which means my father and I get to walk a few holes with his mother as she deliberately avoids watching play due to her nerves.

FedEx Cup Standings: No. 1
PGA Tour Money List: No. 1
World Golf Rankings: Will enter Top 25 today

'Atta boy Chucky Three Sticks.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home