Monday, July 16, 2007

Couple of things

- Not that this is particularly shocking seeing how my home region has, throughout history, long been slow to come around to changing its ways, but it is nonetheless disconcerting. While I don't think solar power will ever catch on in this part of the country, I do think the proposals of utilizing biomass and creating offshore wind production facilities, in addition to beefing up our hydroelectic production, are promising. I also think - and, again, perhaps I'm speaking heresy here - it's important to analyze the potential of nuclear power in this region.

- I'm content with Augusta-Richmond County taking as much credit as it wants for the Medical College of Georgia because, like the existing proposals out there, I don't want to take that college away from them. Instead, I want to build an expansion of it in Athens-Clarke County. For people to think that in a state that is not only growing, but also faces a shortage of doctors, we can only support one medical college - and that is must be in Augusta-Richmond County - fail to see the whole board.

- He's high quality people, but I disagree a bit with an argument posed by Flack.

- While I ultimately respect the Oconee County Commission's decision not to rezone this property, I do have to ask ... where do those opposed think they have all these grocery stores in their community? I can think of the Publix off Hog Mountain Road, and I'm sure there's a Bell's somewhere there because, well, there's a Bell's in every surrounding county in the area ... but that's it.

- Erick at Peach Pundit has the text from a letter that Paul Broun's wife wrote defending her husband and lambasting Jim Whitehead. This travesty to the American political system, er ... runoff election can't end soon enough.

- And Reason No. 7,214 Leonard Pitts remains my favorite columnist.

- Speaking of Barack Obama, his speech in Chicago on violence in the inner-cities is yet another reason why I remain firmly in his camp.

- In what is truly a weird situation for me to watch, GriftDrift takes issue with conservative consultant Phil Kent. It's weird not because I ultimately think GriftDrift is kinda right on this or because Kent is so much more conservative then I could ever fathom being ... but because I know Kent. Heck, I bartended for the guy at a party one time. I hung out with his son in high school all the time. So, yeah, I think he's irrationally Republican and writes books on ridiculous topics, but I've always actually liked the guy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I ultimately respect the Oconee County Commission's decision not to rezone this property, I do have to ask ... where do those opposed think they have all these grocery stores in their community?

Kroger's and Wal-Mart

Sam's Club is about 600 feet from Oconee County

9:30 AM  
Blogger griftdrift said...

I used to have some respect for Phil Kent but lately he has just said too many idiotic things solely for the purpose of fitting his agenda.

I love my sister but currently she and I are not speaking because of the height of her jackassery. Everything has its limit.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Ah yes! I forgot about the Epps Bridge development. I suppose it's so close to the Athens-Clarke County border, I tend to lump it in there. My bad.

I'm with you GriftDrift, I'm just pointing out it's odd for me on a personal level since I've always liked the guy ... even if I think his political views are, well, kinda wrongheaded.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home