Sunday, March 09, 2008

'... you want your daughter to grow up to be'

You know, it's really an old cliche in the grand scheme of things. Through my time working at the Athens Banner-Herald and at the Georgia Museum of Art, I encountered lots of high school students and college students who really, really impressed me. Sharp kids who were funny, smart and more than ready to offer what they had to a world that so desperately needed it.

And I would often tell The Wife, both before and after the birth of my daughter, that we could consider ourselves successful parents if our child could turn out like them.

I suspect that Eve Marie Carson was one of those kind of kids.

I never met her and wouldn't have known her from the next 20ish college student on the street, but just because one doesn't know her doesn't mean you can't look at her and her diverse experiences in her life to recognize she was special (a glimpse at this slideshow, narrated by Carson, is just one element of proof of that).

I've got a daughter now, and to say that she's the center of my whole world would be as grand of an understatement as there is. I can't even begin to imagine the grief, anger, confusion, despair and doubts that would swamp me if something ever happened to her. But knowing the love I have for her, and the dreams and hopes that both The Wife and I have for her, I can begin to comprehend the profound sense of loss her family is dealing with right now.

And there isn't any easy thing to say. It isn't as if there are these magical, comforting words which will wipe away the pain and grief that comes with this unfortunate and unnecessary loss. To be frank, I can't even begin to think of what to write in this particular post, as I've mulled it over for close to three days now.

So here's what I do know, and I'm paraphrasing a line from a popular song out now, but God is great, but that doesn't mean life is always good. During her brief time on this Earth, Carson showed what education combined with passion, experience coupled with consideration, can do to this world.

I wouldn't have known Carson from the next 20ish college student on the street, but I do know that this awful and unjust tragedy has introduced her to countless people who hadn't yet been touched by her.

And be thankful for what you have in this world, and never stop examining how you can make an impact in it. Because when we do that, we live life the same way Carson did.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure if you knew this JMAC but your wife is Ugly As Houses.

Your blog is poor and it seems your personality sucks as well.

Good luck!

2:35 AM  
Blogger Josh M. said...

Wow, Anonymous - you clearly are a winner. Posting shallow, lonely, angry (oh, and patently untrue) comments to a blog at 2:30 a.m. on a Monday morning? I think we can all see that your life took a severely wrong turn at some point, you absolute waste.

For somebody who thinks this is a "poor" blog, by the way, you spent over 27 minutes here, with 14 separate page views (according to Sitemeter). All from your parents' humble basement in Winder, GA.

JMac is too nice to suggest what you should obviously do, but I'm not: Eat a bullet, my friend. I can promise nobody will mind.

6:58 AM  
Blogger ACCBiker said...

At least Chuck signs his idiotic posts.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

The only thing I would note is that 'Ugly As Houses' doesn't make any sense. Seeing how this blog is called 'Safe As Houses' the logical opposite would be 'Dangerous As Houses' (or, perhaps, 'Dangerous As Apartments').

If my blog was called 'Beautiful As Houses' that would be one thing, but seeing how such a phrase doesn't exist, it wouldn't make any sense for me to call it that either.

Regardless, I kinda like The Wife. And she gave me a good-looking kid too, so that counts for something as well.

Perhaps you find her unattractive because you've never actually seen a woman before, let alone known the warm touch of one? Worth pondering I suppose ...

9:38 AM  
Blogger jmSnowden said...

Hey everyone. Leave the guy alone. He stumbled on this site by accident. He was looking for Safe as Trailors.

Big Difference.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home