Wednesday, June 11, 2008

No likes it

Over at Peach Pundit, even the Republicans think Saxby Chambliss's attack ad is pathetic and, quite frankly, it's why I think that Josh Lanier could make this a race if he was the nominee.

It's a long shot, and I'll concede that, but with some money Lanier could make some noise. Of course, in my own personal opinion, I think his laudable ethical approach to the campaign is hindering him. Lanier is refusing money from PACs, which I like, but won't accept campaign contributions that are greater than $100. I can respect the notion behind the latter, but it's going to kill him financially and, with more well-funded Democratic opponents and a substantially more well-funded Republican incumbent, it's hard to see how he can keep the playing field somewhat level.

From what I hear, he's got a good grassroots campaign going, but with Jim Martin and Vernon Jones sitting at the top of the Democratic heap, Dale Cardwell enjoying some name recognition and Rand Knight picking up the AFL-CIO endorsement and the organizational benefits that come with it, Lanier is in jeopardy of getting lost in the shuffle.

Which is a damn shame since, like Flack, I think he's far and away the best candidate.

Also ... I don't get the love for Martin. He seems uninspired, lethargic and, let's face it, he would get hammered in the general election. On some level, it's disappointing that so many folks flocked to him when he said he'd run and left the other candidates who had been working hard for so many months. Again I don't dislike Martin, and I supported him in the general election for Lt. Governor last year, but I'm just baffled by the support for him.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I can't speak for all Martin "bandwagoneers," but for me, it was pure fear.

In January, the slate was:

Vernon Jones - crook, republican, etc.

Dale Cardwell - completely up a tree (or tower, as it were)

Rand Knight - a total phony with NO experience.

Josh Lanier - maybe going to run (or maybe not), but not going to raise any money.

all of which left little real choice.

Look, I don't know much about Josh Lanier, and he may be the best man for the job.

But the problem is, I don't know much about Josh Lanier because Josh Lanier has done very little to get himself noticed. Contribution caps are only going to hamper that effort.

For better or worse, this is going to come down to money. IF Saxby's support has feet of clay, AND Georgia starts looking competitive, the national money MAY come here, but only to a candidate who has shown he can raise his share on his own. Only two candidates have really raised any real money so far, and that's Martin and Jones.

And stepping off the soapbox of cynicism, I've met Martin on several occasions and do think he'd make a great senator.

-wmo

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home