Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Not right now

I can't say that I blame the Oconee County Board of Education for turning down the proposed charter school, primarily because it doesn't seem there is an apparent need and, as David Weeks noted, there really wasn't much of a organized group of support for it (though please correct me if I'm wrong loyal readers).

Again, this isn't to say that I'm not a supporter of charter schools in principle, as I think they're efficient methods of developing strong educational options (of course, the problem has been, in many cases, exclusionary policies which benefit a small percentage of the student population of a particular county and not the entire community). I'm never one to think this is taking money away from certain schools though, or at least I don't think that would be the case here seeing how Oconee County is growing steadily and will have to add additional schools down the road.

Then again, while I like charter schools, I'm much more a fan of magnet schools and, quite frankly, that's what this proposed academy appeared to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home