Monday, July 09, 2007

Couple of things

- Blogger is acting mighty odd this morning as I'm having to tab my way into the 'Title' portion of my posts.

- Here's some political positioning for the future as Brian Kemp, resident Athenian, backs the anti-Athens candidate in the 10th Congressional District runoff.

- Has anyone else noticed that Walt Light's has already shut down its Baxter Street location? After only a month or so? I know that Baxter Street has come a long way in the past 10 years, and it's only going to continue to grow, but that location seems to be almost impossible to put anything viable on.

- Maybe he just play-stuck-his-friend-in-the-back-with-a-knife ...

- Why yes we did host a Summer Soiree.

- I've got some questions on the watering restrictions.

- The bigger question regarding this is if Brian Burdette lives in Lake Oconee and has any children he plans to send to Lake Oconee Academy. If so, then I'd argue that he should recuse himself from Wednesday's vote regarding the charter school. But, yes, of course this is a political appointment. The guy raised a lot of money for Gov. Sonny Perdue, so this is thank you. It's Tawmanny Hall down in Greene County now.

- It's hard to believe they let this guy publish a column. It's also hard to believe he's able to string together two coherent sentences (which, I suppose, he kinda can't).

- Another thing about Burdette's views regarding the income gap ... to fix it he just wants to recruit middle-class families to the area. OK, fine ... but first build something aside from $500,000 lakefront homes down there and work to empower the low-income citizens so they can work their way into that middle-class status.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...


- Has anyone else noticed that Walt Light's has already shut down its Baxter Street location? After only a month or so? I know that Baxter Street has come a long way in the past 10 years, and it's only going to continue to grow, but that location seems to be almost impossible to put anything viable on.


I did and commented on it on the ABH site about a week to ten days ago, and explained why. Got no reaction, and apparently it was not newsworthy.

Look under D.Nelson's blogs.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He doesn't hate Athens itself, he hates the wackjob hippie moonbat people who live here. As do I. I love Athens itself, I just think that there are few "permanent residents" in it who have the sense that God gave a goose.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm one of the permanent residents of Athens, and apparently a "wackjob hippie moonbat" (but the kind with a spouse and two kids in public school). The fact is Athens wouldn't be Athens without the people you detest, Chuck. They are the very people who add life to this city and keep it from being another Snellville or Douglasville.

This city is nothing without the people who live here. If you hate Athenians, then you also hate Athens.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Polusplanchnos said...

So why did Walt Light's close? I couldn't find the discussion, stopthebs.

My wife and I ate there the first week it was open. The men's room smelled of old man fart and poop.

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuck.
Your repeated "I love Athens, I just hate the culture and the governemnt" diatribe continues to baffle me. It would make sense to me if (like Brian Kemp) you were from Athens, had signifigant family connections here, had invested and grown a business here, and were raising your kids here, becasue it was your home. But from what I remember of your campaign bio, you moved here to go to law school four (maybe five) years ago. And Athens was pretty much being run by the same folks, populated by the same "wackjob hippie moonbat people" when you moved here as today.
So WHY do you stay here?
I didn't return to Atlanta (my hometown) after college, becasue I liked it better here. I choose to live here, and yes, pay more taxes than I would elsewhere becasue I like it here, and I like the people who live here, invest in businesses here, and raise their kids here, etc.
It seems kinda like your bangin' your head against a wall here, and it's not even your here -- not in a "I'm a third generation athenian and I hate to see what's happend to my hometown" kinda way. Obviously, you have a right to live wherever you want, and speak your mind however you want... but I wonder (and worry a little) about someone as intelligent as yourself who would put themselves in the position you have, Chuck.
I may regret posting this, becasue it's possible/likely that you will respond with some imature "hippie moonbat" comment that will just piss me off, but I've been following your diatribes off and on for a while, and I needed to get this off my chest.

BTW, I personally don't think that Brian Kemp hates the hippie moonbat people. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't want you speaking for him as such.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So why did Walt Light's close? I couldn't find the discussion, stopthebs.


Check it out.


http://blogs.onlineathens.com/node/548#comment

I will defer to your expertise in old man farts. I imagine this is knowledge one acquires in the philosophy department is it not?

11:05 AM  
Blogger Polusplanchnos said...

It's expertise that comes about from life itself, not just philosophy departments.

That and I have a bunch of uncles.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Flannery O'Clobber said...

re: Walt Light's, it moved rather than shut, right? It bears noting that its predecessor didn't close due to business reasons -- it closed due to an UGLY divorce. Baxter is problematic, but it's going to remain so until all the construction ceases.

And Chuck, no wonder you failed to rock the election. You know, between the charm and the scrupulous attention to honesty.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Chuck Efstration said...

Looks like there’s more than one Chuck that reads this blog. Several years ago I lived in Athens while I attended UGA and I had the great honor of working for Senator Kemp. Living in Athens was a truly special experience made possible by all the wonderful people I got a chance to meet while in school or working on the campaign. A phrase like “hippie moonbat people” shows ignorance and disgusts me. Other Chuck, use your last name from now on.

Chuck Efstration

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally I think this town sucks because it is dirty and most of the permanent residents, and yes the bratty college kids are fools. I hate Athens. It sucks and is no place to live.

The foulest people in the world call themselves Athenians

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home