Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Reality on the runoff

I agree with Flack on this.

Barack Obama has enough on his plate in the next few weeks regarding the transition, the economic crisis and so forth. The runoff, sad to say, favors Saxby Chambliss, and there's no reason to spend newly earned political capital in what is an uphill climb.

I'd much rather see him put together a comprehensive and progressive economic rescue package and build the necessary support for that in the U.S. Senate (and one has to think he can pluck both of the senators from Maine into backing whatever plan he's got). Seeing how Minnesota looks promising for a Democratic pickup depending on the recount, and 80,000 ballots remain outstanding in Alaska giving Mark Begich hope of knocking off convicted felon Ted Stevens, I wouldn't necessarily come down here and campaign.

I'm all for sending staff and sharing resources, which Obama is doing, but I don't see his presence benefitting Jim Martin right now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Josh M. said...

"...but I don't see his presence benefitting Jim Martin right now."

Obama's presence would certainly benefit Jim Martin. The problem is Obama's presence wouldn't benefit Obama. He doesn't want the first horse he gets behind to end up a loser - sensible enough.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I don't disagree with that either Josh, but I think that Obama's presence might actually spur the GOP base to get more involved. It puts a face on the opposition in a more tangible way.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home